Friday, September 24, 2004

flipside

I cannot claim to comprehend the fear, anger and ignorance that I have seen recently in people I hardly know. I have been shown example after example of individuals who do not make the occasional mistake of a rude comment or a lashing out, but actually accuse people of things that are mostly projected from their own psyches and/or tell their side of the story to everyone who will listen without the slightest idea that there might be another side...or twelve.

"you can't really place blame
cuz blame is kinda messy
some of it was bound to get on you
while you were trying to put it on me"
-ani difranco

People who view life one-sided frighten me. They will always believe themselves either a hero for being cruel or a victim of someone else's cruelty. They do not take the time to understand the wounds that create moments that someone might be ashamed of, though never repeat again. They do not look at a person and see that behind the physical form there might be insecurity and weakness. They are emotional vampires and as cruel as little children, but they know better. This is what makes it so much worse. They know that it hurts, they know that each person has their own issues, but they put themselves and their feelings first and foremost and assume all else to be less than worthy of their attention or care.

My mother and brother worry that I care too much for other people and am far too sensitive. Most of my friends would echo this. But when it comes down to it, I would rather be the person getting hurt and making mistakes, then apologizing for them, than the person who goes through life hurting people at will and feeling no remorse or pity. I do not look down on the latter, but I would never want to be one, just the same.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hekate said...

I agree with your sentiment about wanting to be the person who feels rather than the person who hurts others. It is a hard place to be sometimes. It is hard to understand why people feel the need to hurt others, isn't there enough pain in the world without creating more.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Oliver said...

This ought to be my theme song:

Welcome to my little world...completely self-contained, yeah
Your problems they will soon be gone (we soak up lots of pain), yeah

If life is a reflecting pool--then we are like a sponge, yeah
Absorbing the good with the bad--we soak up...soak it up

So give me all your troubled thoughts
And baggage you can't handle, no
We'll gladly take it off your back (we soak up lots of pain), yeah

--Oingo Boingo

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home