Friday, September 17, 2004

some indian food can't be made mild

I am afraid that my dinner with Kelly last night has left me feeling ill even now. The best Indian food I could ever hope for, but my sweet lord, my stomach cannot handle it. I need water.

Have you ever become lost in a site and had your eyes widen and wondered why there weren't more wonderful things in the world just like it? Yes? No? Well, go here anyway:

http://www.ilovem83.com/

Revaz is taking me to see M83 tonight. Or, rather, I'm taking him, but it was his idea...so perhaps we're taking each other. Either way, I'm going, dammit. As I don't really go to shows anymore, it's rather a big deal for me. And yet I agreed to it immediately. But then, Revaz is truly irresistable, despite the fact that he gets lost in Oakland and I find that kind of sad.

I'm sorry this isn't more interesting, but I've just spent about thirty minutes feebly editing some entries for Bad Poetry, Good Times. I'm afraid it's been far too long since I wrote poetry or songs, so my skills are leaving much to be desired at this point. There are some good lines, but they don't necessarily come together well. Feel free to let me know how you feel about them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Oliver said...

I've found that I have a higher tolerance for spicy food than most people. When we go to an Indian restaurant and they ask if I want it mild, medium, or hot, I say, "Hot. Not the version of hot that you make for westerners. Indian hot. Like you have it at home." The always smile and say, "Indian hot. Vee can do dat." Then they bring me the most delightful-smelling dishes--they open your nostrils up from a foot away--swimming in red oils. Mouth-scalding heaven.

I always debate with my hot-sauce-loving friends how much heat is too much heat. They say the hotter the better. I say it depends on the dish. It should be just spicy enough to enhance the natural flavors, but not overwhelm them. Some of my friends totally obliterate the flavor with heat. I say, what's the point in that? Now, having said that, Indian food is the one thing I've found that only gets better and better the hotter you make it. I want the curtains to burst in to flames as it's carried to my table. It should have to be served by a waiter wearing a biohazard suit and handling the plate with two-foot tongs. I should experience the fury of this food twice--once on the way in, once on the way out.

BTW, spicy food tip for you, Tomato, dear: milk-based products, not water. Water only spreads the oil around and makes it burn in whole new places. The lactic acids in milk counteract the capsacin. With Indian food, I usually get chai tea.

Off-topic: I had an uncle who lived in Walnut Creek for many years; I know the town well, though I've never been to that restaurant. Too bad I didn't know you when he lived there or I would have looked you up whenever I went there. 'Course, he's dead now, so no more reason to visit Walnut Creek...

9:01 PM  
Blogger Tomato said...

Oh, Ollie, I'm allergic to dairy. ((sigh)) But thanks!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Hekate said...

Poor tomato. And just when it's British Cheese Week. Guess you won't be playing along with "What's that Cheese" on radio Wales today.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i secretly love the cheese. the problem is that the cheese does NOT love me.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Please check out my food chain site. It is all about food chain informations.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home