Wednesday, December 01, 2004

neglect

I have been severely neglecting this blog lately. Truthfully, I've been cheating on Some Fruits Are Spicy with a new blog in town: http://beautybitchnet.blogspot.com/. But really, folks, I had been cheating on SFS for at least a month with both http://www.darkwindow.blogspot.com/ and http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/blog/index.html. Yes, it is true.

Have I mentioned that Pete of the Dark Window had a dream in which I told a train conductor that Pete wouldn't be needing his suitcase off the train because from here on out we were going to live on love alone?

It frightened me, too.

The sad thing is that I really wanted it to be Zach Braff dreaming of me. Alas, no.

Oh my god, I forgot to call Revaz back two nights ago.

In any case, I have been working on a few things and trying to stick to some sort of a schedule. This is a very new thing for me.

Thing 1: Having never been very good at school (I didn't pay attention and I didn't do my homework), I have decided to teach myself...something. I am starting my re-education with U.S. History. All my friends think I am a total freak because I have rented The History Channel's Founding Fathers Vol. I, which I take notes on as it plays, and am reading both an old History book from college (ha ha) and Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060926430/002-4186185-3519261?v=glance). I am not a geek, but I do hope to become one someday.

Thing 2: I am spending more time at home. Attempting to keep my apartment reasonably clean so to avoid those mad dashes to throw everything in the closet when I have a surprise guest. This also gives me more time to read and to write (two things I haven't been doing enough of lately).

Thing 3: I have been reading many a magazine and just one newspaper. I have a subscription to Newsweek (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032542/site/newsweek/) and The New York Times (www.nytimes.com) that I just barely manage to get through before the next issue comes out. And yet, last week I insisted on picking up The Economist (www.economist.com) (which I'm still working on) and this week I bought Bust (www.bust.com) and Shop Etc (www.ShopEtc.com). The latter is a piece of shit, by the way. Shit, I tell you. Don't buy it. It's a waste of a buck ninety-nine. I mean, I'd buy it before I'd buy Jane (www.janemag.com), but that's not saying much.

Thing 4: I have been working on a site that shall be called BeautyBitch.net. It is my dream. Unfortunately, it is also currently a blog. There are a few of us working on it right now, but the work is mostly small tweaks and the occasional random review. The eventual site will be something of a place you can go to read reviews that aren't completely full of shit. You will get only honest opinions and most likely rather bitchy ones (a combination of crap product and crap salespeople brings out the best in us). I sometimes find myself writing a review that should be in Cosmo because of the language and then I have to hurt myself. Repeatedly. I am hoping to beat that out of me, but lord knows what the end result will be.

And in case you thought I didn't notice:
To the one person who actually reads this blog, I am sorry I have been neglecting you. Really I am.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hekate said...

It's that time of year, punkin. I don't think anyone has as much time to do the things they think they should be, due to doing the things they know they have to.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Oliver said...

"To the one person who actually reads this blog, I am sorry I have been neglecting you. Really I am."

Apology accepted.

This is the time of year when the rain of responsibilities begins dislodging the boulders of our availability, and before you know it, the I-70 of our lives is blocked--totally--by the unexpected cascade of heavy, hard, sharp objects, until the men with orange hats and vests can unobstruct our lives with large doses of high explosives.

Schedules are good. The trick is to stick with them. I've tried writing schedules before. One hour, at the same time every night, whether anything good gets on the paper or not. Oh, but it's too, too easy to say to yourself, "X wants to go to a movie tonight. I'll just do that and make it up with *two* hours tomorrow." No, you won't. You'll never go back to that schedule again, and you'll spend your evenings wondering *what* in the *hell* happened to your dream of selling more books than Stephen King by now...

Um...that post probably should have been more supportive.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home